Sunday, March 21, 2010

Backtracking - to Friday!

Okay, so this photo was taken on Thursday, but I didn't get it until now. This is our "official" group shot in front of the clinic. I think my eyes are closed, but in my defense, it was really, really bright out.

Friday morning was horsey ride time. It ruled!

Natalie, our resident horse person, was first up, got the rest of us all put together, reminded us to keep our heels down, and took care of the less-horse oriented during our ride. We pretty much didn't need a guide, and it's always nice to have someone who really knows what they're doing along for pretty much any adventure. She got a pretty horse too.

Getting mounted up. They made us wear helmets. Our heads got hot and sweaty, but it was nice to know that the guides care about our safety.

My horse's head.

Not quite the 3 Musketeers, but hey...


Erin's horse was awesome! Cute, responsive, and a great ride!


Morgan's horse was loaded with gear: lassos, straps, even a machete!


I'm not in the photo, but my horse was just to the left of Erin's - The cowboy's dog (and his shouts) started the cows moving. Then they kept moving, pretty much by themselves, but my horse got pretty antsy. I get the feeling he used to herd the cows, and might be bored lugging gringas around on tourist rides. So I sped him up and pretended we were herding the cows. Then he stopped giving me attitude, and we had a pretty good ride after that.


This guy with his pony and cart passed us after we sent the cows towards their field.


Our guide (in the orange shirt) led Laurie's horse most of the way - after it spooked near the beginning of the ride. Morgan and her horse got along pretty well - even cantered a tad.


My dude and I rounded up this colt so the vaquero could rope him. It was super awesome! I think if/when I ever get a horse, I want a cow pony (and a burro, and a Fresian).


Isn't my horse a handsome dude? Note the lack of bit - his "bridle" is made of twisted twine.


Whoops! I got caught carving a petroglyph into this rock...


This howler monkey told us off for riding too close to him.


The boss and I pose with our fabulous food cooking housekeepers. They can cook up beans'n'rice like nobody's business!


After lunch, we went into town to buy souveniers, and hang out. Two separate groups went, and I lucked out enough to tag along with both. First our regular driver Felix took Laurie, Lisa, Colleen Kristina, and me. We got a bunch of cheap jewelry and I got an awesome hat. Then we headed to the Iguana Bar/Restaurant to hang out - not that we needed food after the awesome lunch we'd had! So they had some beer, and I had some fruity stuff. Then we shopped a little bit more and went back to the villa - just in time for me to catch a ride back to town with Larry.


This is how "No Shirt Larry" the yoga guy gets around - Stoli the Rhodesian Ridgeback gets first dibs at seating, even though she stood the whole time. The springs are old enough that if everyone sits inside, there will be problems. Also, there are no brakes. It was awesome.


Wolfy says goodnight, and goodbye to San Juan Del Sur.

No comments:

Post a Comment